Fafda is a famous street food in Gujarati, and it is very popular and found around the corners of Ahmedabad. You’ve never tasted something like this before, so you should most certainly try it and you can even make it on your own.
Ingredients for Fafda
- Gram flour- two cups
- Oil- five tablespoons (more than ¼ cup)
- Carom Seeds- 1/2 tablespoon
- Papad khar- two tablespoons
- Salt- ½ (according to the taste)
- Oil- for frying fafda
Direction for Fafda Recipe
- First of all you have to knead the dough. Take the gram flour in a large bowl and don’t forget to take 1/3 cup of water. You should add to the water two tablespoons of Papad Khar and salt as well and mix it all. Baking soda can replace Papad Khar.
- To the flour you should add some crushed carom seeds so that the flavor will be nicer, and afterwards you should add oil too. Mix everything and then add water and knead the dough so it becomes softer than Poori dough and harder than Parantha dough. Knead the dough for 6-7 minutes.
- After kneading the dough for seven minutes, you should cover the dough and leave it for ½ hours. Thirty minutes have passed and the dough should be ready, and now you should roll the dough. Cut the dough in the little lumps and shape it into a cylinder, and cut it into small one inch long lumps.
- Then, take the dough and shape it longitudinally, put it on the board and press it with your palm. Stick the dough on the board than elongate the remaining part by pressurizing it. To remove it from the board you can use the palate knife, and after you finish you can put it on a plate.
- Put the oil in the pan, and wait until it gets hot enough. It the dough starts floating on the oil immediately, than it is ready for frying. Put the fafda into the pan and fry it until they look crispy and when they change color.
Try not to make the dough very firm because you will need a lot of force to pressurize it. Fafda is very delicious and crunchy and you can even add coriander chutney and sour sauce. Fafda can even be good for your gut heath, because it’s not hard on your stomach and you can add whatever you want, especially with some healthy ingredients. It is very good if you eat it with a cup of tea while you are relaxing with your favorite book. It’s not hard to make and you can add any kind of sauce you fancy and you won’t regret it.