Stationary rowing is known for being one of the most complete workouts you can do. It works almost every single muscle in your body, builds your resistance, and offers the same – and even more – health benefits as running, biking or swimming, which is why we bring you the best rowing machines for home use.
An important thing that factors in on stationary rowing is how you can actually do it in the comfort of your own home. Don’t like the gym? No problems. There are dozens of options to pick from when it comes to magnetic, water or fan rowing machines, so before we get into the best machines in the market, let’s talk about the main differences between all three:
Magnetic Rowing Machines
- These work by bringing a magnet closer or father from the center flywheel. The closer it gets, the more resistance it poses.
- Usually need to be plugged to a power source.
- Their monitors tend to be more detailed and come with pre-set workouts.
- Much more silent than fan machines.
Water Rowing Machines
- Resistance is created by pedals spinning in a water tank at the front of the machine.
- Good for storage.
- Resistance increases by how hard you row.
- The water quiets down the spinning paddles’ noise.
Fan Rowing Machines
- Use air to create resistance, which ends up being very similar to rowing in water.
- The resistance increases or decreases by how fast you row, building up coordination with a more organic setting.
- They are very lightweight and most of them can fold on themselves, making them ideal for home workouts.
- The spinning air system makes them rather loud.
All types of machines give you great workouts, work the same amount of muscles, and can give you all the health benefits of stationary rowing. All three work within a wide price range, so you can choose what best suits you budget, and the main differences can be brought down to which one is quieter.
Nevertheless, everyone’s needs are different. If you want more detailed monitoring of your heart rate, resistance, and workout plan, then go for a magnetic machine. If you’re looking for a more organic, closer-to-the-real-thing kind of rowing, as well as a more budget-friendly option, then the fan rowing machine is for you.
So what are the best rowing machines for home use?
You can pick whichever type you like, but we recommend taking a look at these models for stationary rowing home workouts.
Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine
- Comfortable and easy to store air rowing machine.
- Includes P5 monitor to compare each session’s results. Connects with fitness apps and heart rate belts.
- Easy to assemble, which makes it ideal as home equipment.
- Very high-quality materials for durability.
Sunny & Health Fitness Rowing Machine
- A water-resistance rowing machine with adjustable tank.
- The battery-powered monitor offers detailed information on each session.
- Adjustable design makes it perfect for every user.
- Ergonomic design for comfort and high quality materials for usability.
Stamina 35-1405 Air Rowing Machine
- Super light and dynamic design for movability and storage.
- Built-in wheels.
- LCD monitor to track speed, distance, time and calories burned.
- Comfortable and adjustable.
Harvill Magnetic Rowing Machine
- Has eight resistance levels for all stages of fitness.
- Aluminum frame to keep it light and prevent rust.
- Super light and thin body, ideal for home workouts in small spaces.
- Comfortable for all body shapes and sizes.
WaterRower Classic Rowing Machine
- The handcrafted wood design makes it solid and sturdy.
- Wood absorbs the majority of the sound and the vibrations.
- Stores upright and has wheels to make it easy to move.
- Despite its classic design, it comes with a detailed monitor to track strokes, heartbeat, and resistance, as well as working with pre-set workouts.
Stamina ATS Air Rower
- A lighter, updated version of its predecessors, this machine comes with a more dynamic yet more solid design.
- LCD monitor covers all basic features, such as tracking heart rate, speed, and calories burned.
- Ultra light-weight, but solid enough to carry large weights and absorb movement.
- Adjustable features and comfortable padding on all contact surfaces makes it extra agreeable to all body types.
These are the six best rowing machines for home use you can get to take you stationary workout routines to the next level. Pick the best one for you and get the most out of this full-body activity.