Analysis of lifestyle disorder
The old saying that “Health is Wealth” is truly applicable for the current generation of human beings as with the changes in lifestyles there are emerging medical conditions and diseases that are cutting short the human life cycle. The life style disorders can be defined as those disorders that result due to activities involving smoking, alcohol and drug abuse, consuming high fat diets, lack of exercise or living a dormant life etc.
The World Health Organization in its report has stated that a slow moving public health disaster is in the offing due to life style disorders in the form of non-communicable diseases or NCDs like conditions of cardiovascular, diabetes, and lung diseases. In its report, it (WHO) opined that not thousands but millions of people are dying every year within the age group of thirty and sixty.
About sixteen million people are dying prematurely every year due to unhealthy habits or life style disorders in the form of smoking, alcohol abuse and consuming lots of fat, salt, and sugar sparking a wide – ranging of diseases.
Newssheet of Disorders – 6 facts
The life style disorders are now emerging as a many more public health risk than any epidemic known to human beings. It is a fact that non communicable diseases or the NCDs such as cardiovascular conditions, diabetes, cancer has killed about 38 million of people in the world with about 16 million people of those killed are less than 70 years of age. The life style disorder is quite rampant in developed nations where people develop habits in the form of eating unhealthy foods, having a sedentary lifestyle and indulging in drinking alcohol, and smoking.
Facts to help you understand the lifestyle disorders
The following six facts will help in better understanding about the lifestyle disorder that is now spreading its tentacles in developing economies like India, Sri Lanka, and Indonesia etc.
- The center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that one third or about 78.6 million of U.S. adults are obese resulting in million dollar health bills.
- Life style disorder is causing cardio vascular diseases (CVDs) resulting in 31% of all global deaths.
- The sedentary life style is also causing deficiency of Vitamins such as Vitamin D resulting in diseases like osteoporosis.
- Life style disorder also includes social isolation resulting in higher rate of death in elderly.
- Eating junk foods that have high calorie food rich in carbohydrates or fat is leading to obesity and early deaths.
- The developing countries are currently the hardest hit by life style disorders.
Syndrome & Types
The life style disorder syndrome emerge as a group of disease such as diabetes, hypertension, cancer, cardiovascular, Metabolic Syndrome diseases and each of these types have been discussed in brief herein below-
- Diabetes – Diabetes has emerged as a life threatening disease that results in kidney failure leading to death. Obesity is one of the major factors in the rise of diabetic cases even among the younger generation in their early and late 20’s.
- Cardiovascular diseases – Cardiovascular diseases such as heart diseases and high blood pressure are emerging as the number one killer disease due to unhealthy life styles such as drinking alcohol, smoking, drug abuse, eating junk food etc
- Metabolic Syndrome – The current scenario sees many instances of metabolic syndrome that is dramatically increasing the risk of heart disease, strokes, and diabetes. Metabolic syndrome is affecting between 25 and 35 percent of American population and is raising its head in developing economies as well.
Diagnosis & Cure
The early diagnosis of life style disorders can help in curbing these diseases at an early stage. The role of physicians and health care professionals is quite important in diagnosing the life style disorders. The primary diagnosis for discovering these disorders include weight checkups to measure the Body Mass Index or BMI of the individual suffering from these disorders. Indicators such as blood glucose, blood pressure, and lipid levels in comparison to those who are practicing healthy life styles will help in diagnosing the extent of these diseases lying dormant in individuals suffering from these life disorder syndromes.
The cure for each of these life style disorders differs case by case. However, health examination based on metabolic syndrome helps in curing these disorders. Physicians usually prescribe dietary changes, give multivitamin/mineral supplements or medicines if required, provide psychological treatment, advise the patients for doing physical exercises regularly, and perform surgery in case of emergency situations.
Remedies – you can try at your home
The following remedies can be tried at home to avoid having life style disorders.
- Avoid eating junk foods and those foods that have preservatives and coloring agents.
- Do regular physical exercises such as brisk walking daily for 15 minutes or do yoga, meditation.
- Follow medical advice if you have any health problem in addition to lifestyle disorder.
- Quit smoking, avoid drinking alcohol, and eat a healthy diet rich in vitamins and proteins.