The word eating is just a name but eating disorder is more than that of food. It is a complex mental health disorder that causes disturbance in the psychological as well as a medical condition. It is estimated that more than 20 million women and 10 million men are suffering from eating disorders. Eating disorders range from a psychological condition that causes the patient to follow unhealthy eating habits. These people start to get very obsessive about their body weight or shape and how they weigh or what they have to avoid. Eating disorders contain many types of symptoms ranging from food binging to inducing themselves to vomit. Almost 13 percent of the total youth are experiencing this disorder between the ages of 15 to 20 years. External beauty should not be the only thing to be paid attention to. In this article, we are going to discuss some Ayurvedic and traditional home remedies for such eating disorders.
According to modern science, eating disorders are explained in the psychiatric branch. In Ayurveda, it is said to be annavaha strotas vayadhi and as explained in bhasmak roga it is caused by the aggravation of Pitta Dosha and diminished Kapha Dosha. The Pitta is known for giving the body its strength through Vata which in turn produces heat. This leads to fast digestion and after that, they start digesting sapta dhatus resulting in disorders and finally death of the person. In Ayurveda, there is the involvement of digestive fire in these cases.
Causes of Eating Disorders in Ayurveda
According to Charak, Bhasak roga is said to result from Ksheena Kapha (drop-in Kapha) that causes the Pitta to increase in the body. The Vata is one that supports the Pitta and thus the Pitta of the body gets stronger. Therefore the vayu gets stronger and more powerful as well. Due to this aggressive fire, the digestion of food is forcible which is quick and frequent.
Few symptoms seen in the disease are
- Loss control for eating.
- Eats much faster as compared normally.
- Always trying to eat alone due to the embarrassment of having a lot of food at once.
- Not able to remember what he or she has eaten.
- Trying to eat faster than normal.
- Eating a lot of food in a short period of time.
- Loss of strength
- Weight loss
- Burning sensation
Here are some traditional and Ayurvedic home remedies
1. Pumpkin Soup
- Clarified butter
- Onion and garlic
- Salt and pepper
How to prepare
- Take half a pumpkin and chop it into large chunks and avoid using any kind of canned pureed pumpkin.
- Saute the onion and garlic into the pot and use clarified butter.
- Add water into the pot and add the chunks into it.
- Boil it for 20 minutes on medium flame until the pumpkin is softened.
- Add half a cup of milk into it.
- Your tasty and healthy soup is ready.
2. Mint and Ginger Tea
How to prepare
- Take one cup of water.
- Add one half-diced ginger into the water.
- Boil it for 5 minutes.
- After that add crushed mint to it.
- Boil the mixture for a few more 10 minutes.
- Strain and cool the mixture.
3. Ash Gourd Soup
- Half a cup of peeled and chopped Ash Gourd.
- Skimmed milk
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Black pepper
How to prepare
- Heat oil on the pan.
- Add onion and garlic, saute until they become translucent.
- Add Ginger and saute this for a few seconds.
- Then add ash gourd and sprinkle salt on it.
- Add half a cup of water.
- Cover the pot and leave until it becomes soft.
- Cold down the mixture.
- Blend the mixture into a fine paste.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper.
- You can serve it hot or cold as per your liking.
4. Turmeric Milk
It is also known as the Golden milk
How to prepare
- Heat one cup of milk in a pot on a medium flame.
- Add a pinch of turmeric into it.
- Boil it for a few minutes.
- Then add jaggery powder as a natural sweetener.
- Adding black pepper powder is an option.
5. Carom seeds
- You can eat it directly or can also boil it in water.
- It is also very effective in people who suffer from eating disorders.
Some healthy tips for a patient with eating disorders
- Try eating smartly and set a goal like when you are hungry eat what you want. It is also important to stop when you feel that your stomach is full.
- Try wearing clothes that you feel comfortable with.
- Pamper yourself and calm your body, soul as well as mind.
- Ask your close ones for emotional support and make yourself feel good.
- Try helping others as this will make you feel better for yourself.
- Take a break and get rest, avoid things that disturb you.
Eating disorders can be very disturbing for any person both emotionally as well as mentally. Some people may suffer from obesity and some become anorexic but it can be managed through Ayurvedic tips. The above-mentioned Ayurvedic home remedies will help in naturally treating the disease.