Every individual desire to attain a healthy mind and body. To be free from any illness is the prime motive or we can say that foremost desire of every human being. Certain ailments have a great social impact on our lives. One such common problem is bedwetting; there is the presence of involuntary urination while asleep in children even after the expected age, seen very commonly in children over 5 years of age. It is a very distressing ailment that makes the sufferer mentally upset, as it has psychological social implications on the children’s minds. It is well known that bedwetting has a significant impact on our self-esteem. Most of the children who are dealing with this disorder face the problem of low self-esteem. As most of the sufferers are generally being teased by their peers or by their siblings. So feelings of humiliation are very common in this disease. As per Ayurveda, our acharya had already mentioned this ailment by the name of “shaiya mutra” and had explained detailed herbal treatment for this. So let’s start discussing this ailment in more detail.
Bedwetting is also known as enuresis is defined as having intermittent episodes of passing urine in the bed while asleep in children over 5 years of age. Another name for bedwetting is nocturnal incontinence of urination. Generally, children stop peeing in bed after the age of 4 to 5 years but some children face this problem due to the presence of psychological stress or any pathological condition.
Generally, there are two types of bedwetting. The first one is monosymptomatic nocturnal enuresis (MNE) it means the presence of bedwetting problems in those children who don’t have any associated urinary bladder problems and who don’t wet themselves in the daytime. Another type is non-monosymptomatic nocturnal enuresis (NMNE) in this type there is the presence of bedwetting problems in those children who have additional symptoms of wetting themselves in the day time.
This problem is present up to the age of 5 years as a part of normal childhood development but if it continues after the age of 5 years, it indicates the presence of an underlying disease.
These are the main causes (nidan as per Ayurveda) that result in the formation of an ailment. The exact cause of bedwetting is not known but we could consider the presence of various factors playing a major role in giving rise to this pathology. They are as follow:
- Excessive urination
- Intake of liquid diet in extra proportion after evening
- Sleep apnea
- Emotional stress
- Presence of infectious disease
- Neurological developmental deficit
- Chronic constipation
- Urinary tract infection
- Abnormal contraction of the urinary bladder
As Per Ayurveda, the Common Causes are as Follow
- Neurological Causes: The presence of emotional stress within the family, leads to improper care of a child during childhood. As we all know that proper training is required to teach a child about urination etiquette, but due to the presence of proper care, a lack is seen in this training, leading to the generation of bedwetting problems.
- Physical Causes: Mainly threadworm is considered as a prime culprit to generate this disease.
- Other Causes:
- Presence of pathology in the renal system
- Kosth badhta (constipation)
- Antra krimi (intestinal worms)
- Nadi vikar (neurological disorders)
It includes the signs and symptoms. A symptom means the general complaints along with patients present in front of the physician. Signs: It means what a physician notices himself by observing the patient’s condition. They are as follow:
In this particular disease, the disease itself signifies the clinical feature i.e. presence of bedwetting while asleep.
Due to this patient also faces other common complaints that include:
- Presence of guilt feeling in mind.
- Mental stress
- Lack of social behavior- most of the children suffering from this ailment tend to suffer from the problem of low self-esteem, which makes them suffer from low confidence.
It includes diagnostic approaches we use to identify the disease. There are various methods we can use:
- Detailed physical examination of children.
- Ruling out family history.
- Laboratory techniques
- X ray examination- to rule out the presence of structural abnormalities in the urinary system
- Urine examination- to identify the presence of any infectious disease in the renal system
- Full pediatric and neurological examination of children
Firstly, our main focus should be on behavioral and educational therapy. It includes:
- The first important thing to consider is that bedwetting is not a child’s fault so he/she should not be punished for this in fact parents need to provide emotional support to their children.
- Encourage the child to urinate regularly during the daytime as it will help in developing a proper routine to urinate.
- Educating your child to urinate just before going to bed at night this will gradually help him/her in developing this habit.
- In children of less than 5 years of age- it is very important for parents to develop a habit of urination by waking them at least two times at night, once you start doing this practice soon your child will develop a natural habit of urination in the washroom.
- Set Alarm- Use an alarm to develop the habit of urination, and the child should be the only controller to turn this on and off, initially, parents have to participate in this routine, then slowly handover the charge of this alarm completely to the child so that he/she will learn the responsibility. Use this alarm clock method continuously for a period of 3 to 4 weeks until the child had consecutive days of dry nights.
As this problem leads to the generation of emotional stress over the mind of affected individuals, it is very important to provide emotional support to them. Indulge them in playing activities as a child feels most alive when they are with their friends, it makes them very happy when they play with their friends. It will help in developing social and friendly behavior in them.
A child should never be punished for this problem as it will develop a terror in their mind that might lead to the generation of serious neurological disorders.
According to Ayurveda
Various classical herbal formulations are mentioned in our ancient text that will work very efficiently in bedwetting problems. A list of some classical herbs that can be used in this ailment are as follow:
- Vang bhasma
- Trivang bhasma
- Bahumutrantak rasa
Dosage: 2 to 5 grams with honey or plain water after a meal.
- Samvardhan ghrita
- Saraswat ghrit
Dosage: 5 to 10 grams with lukewarm water after meal.
Herbal Remedies for Bedwetting by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a leading herbal manufacturing unit, with their clinic located at Mohali Punjab, serving people worldwide with their authentic approach of healing by using Ayurvedic treatment protocol, we have an eminent team of Ayurveda experts. They offer various herbal formulations that work really well in bedwetting problem, some of them are as follow:
- Ashwagandha Capsule
- Brahmi Capsule
- Chandraprabha Vati
1. Ashwagandha Capsule
This herbal capsule contains pure and standardized extract of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). It contains great antioxidant properties that will boost up the immune system and develop strong immunity power. As the patient of bedwetting generally suffers from the problem of weakness in the urinary bladder this herb helps in strengthening the meda dhatu, and ‘medo vaha srotas’ has main residing seat in vrik (kidney) and vapavahan (omentum) so this herb proves as a great choice in bedwetting patients.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Brahmi Capsule
This herbal formulation contains pure and standardized extract of brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) This herb is considered as best ‘medhya herb’ means it helps in strengthening the nervous system as it help in making nerve cells strong and healthy in function so it will help in providing strength to bedwetting patients.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Chandraprabha Vati
This herbal formulation helps in maintaining a normal level of kapha and vata dosha due to the principle potency of herbs present in this formulation. It works very well in problems associated with abnormal functioning or decreased functioning of the urinary system so this will help in maintaining overall strength in patients suffering from bedwetting. It contains herbs such as shilajit (Asphaltum), guggul (Commiphora mukul), haridra (Curcuma longa), amalaki (Emblica officinalis) etc.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
Now we can conclude that Ayurveda offers various authentic management protocols that will work dexterously in bedwetting. If you want to go for ayurvedic treatment of bedwetting, consider planet Ayurveda as your prime option. We have great experience in serving mankind with their herbal therapeutic measures. You can directly visit them at their clinic or can send your queries on their official email.id : email@example.com