Hyperacidity simply means a symptom caused by excess production of acid by gastric glands of the stomach. The stomach secretes Hydrochloric acid which is a digestive juice that breaks down food particles into their smallest form to aid digestion. When the amount of hydrochloric acid increases in the stomach, the condition is known as Hyperacidity.
In Ayurveda, the main cause is considered to be the aggravation of Pitta Dosha in the body. Eating foods that do not suit like (milk and fish, milk and salt), excessively sour or spicy food, high consumption of coffee and alcohol, excessive stress, anxiety, etc. All these causes may lead to indigestion, lack of appetite, sour blenching, feeling of restlessness, constipation, stiffness in the stomach, etc.
Acidity treatment in Ayurveda is focused on pacifying the aggravated Pitta Dosha, here are some home remedies which controls the condition of hyperacidity in a natural way. Best home remedies are given below –
- Cumin seeds – Take powder of roasted cumin and coriander seeds (25 gm each) and mix with 50 gm of sugar. Take half spoon of it 3 times a day to get rid of abdominal pain, improper digestion, hyperacidity, heaviness in the chest, etc.
- Coconut Water – Drink 100-150 ml of tender coconut water twice a day to get relief from hyperacidity. Mix equal parts of powdered fennel, basil leaves, and coriander seeds. Have ½ teaspoon of this above mixture with a ½ teaspoon of powdered rock candy. Take this remedy 15 minutes before lunch and dinner. This remedy provides relief in the condition of burning sensation, heaviness, indigestion, excess acid formation, etc.
- Fennel seeds – Toast 1 tsp fennel seeds and mix in 1 cup of boiled water. Add a few pieces of fresh ginger, a pinch of hing (asafoetida), and a dash of rock salt to the boiled water. Sip this slowly after a meal. Take this remedy for about 5-6 days that will help in the clearance of the intestine and relieves the bloating. It reduces the gas and provides a feeling of lightness in the body.
- Tulsi – Tulsi is best known for its properties. It will help to stimulate your stomach and produce more mucous. Tulsi leaves have anti-ulcer properties and reduce the effect of gastric acids. Chewing five or six tulsi leaves when you are suffering from acidity. It is a great way to beat the discomfort you feel.
- Bananas – You could eat an overripe banana to beat an especially bad bout of acidity because banana contains a high amount of potassium, it is very beneficial to decrease the acidity level, and help in overcome all most all the symptoms regarding the acidity. Eat 2-3 bananas regularly to prevent the condition of acidity.
- Carom– Carom seeds have a special property that stimulates the production of saliva which helps in better digestion, improves metabolism, decreases the bloating, gas, and other gastric troubles. For this, you can chew a few seeds of carom to relieve acidity at that time or boil it in water, let it be cool down and drink it.
- Cloves – Cloves have the best calmative properties and improve the peristalsis (the movement of food down towards the stomach). Put 1-2 pieces of cloves in mouth and bite a clove once so that the juice is released and then keep it in the mouth. That juice will immediately lower the acid reflux and overcome the other symptoms also.
- Mint – Chop some Mint leaves, add them to a pot of boiling water and drink the liquid when it gets cools. Mint helps in lowering the acid content of the stomach and improves digestion. It has also the best cooling effect which helps to reduce the pain and burning sensation associated with acid reflux. Take this remedy for about 5-6 days regularly for better results.
- Amla – Amla is a Kapha and Pitta pacifier apart from having high amounts of vitamin C. Have one teaspoon of Amla powder with normal water twice a day for about 10 days; this will help to keep acidity at bay. Amla reduces the gas, healing the injured stomach lining and esophagus.
- Elaichi – Crush 2 pods of elaichi, boil the mixture in water and let them cool. Drink this remedy for about 5-6 days. As elaichi is best known to stimulate the digestion and relieve the stomach spasm, it is very beneficial in the case of heartburn, indigestion, heaviness in abdomen, restlessness, etc.
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk contains lactic acids that normalize the acidity in the stomach. Sprinkle a dash of black pepper or 1 teaspoon of ground coriander leaves for best results. Drink this combination daily after a meal at lunchtime as it maintains normal body temperature, & helps in cooling the stomach.
- Cow’s milk – Milk has a high amount of calcium that helps to prevent acid build up and absorbs the excess acid produced, thereby it helps to overcome the symptoms of acidity. You can add one or two pieces of elaichi for better taste. Consume cold cow’s milk daily for better result and prevents the production of further acidity formation.