There is no denying the fact that whey protein is crucial for building and repairing muscles. This is the reason why many bodybuilders, athletes, and fitness lovers are crazy about it. Owing to its huge demand and popularity, many brands have launched whey supplements available all over the market place. You can find whey protein concentrate, isolate, and hydrolysate supplements easily, both online and offline.
But, a major concern while buying whey supplements is to choose the right product. Since whey protein is a widely used supplement, there is an increased risk of fake products sold under popular brand names, and also not every whey powder sold by every brand is up to the mark. So, it becomes extremely important to be vigilant and careful while making a purchase.
If you’re confused too, just like other fitness buffs, we’re here to help you. In this article, you’ll find a curated list of some of the best whey protein powders available in India. But, before we tell you that, you need to know what you need to consider while buying a whey powder for yourself.
What to look for in a protein powder?
- The source of protein: Check the source of protein in your protein powder. Whey protein isolate or concentrate gets absorbed really faster. Some brands offer casein protein also that digests really slow. Check if the primary source of whey protein is isolate or concentrate while keeping in mind your fitness goals.
- Look for the BCAAs: Branched Chain Amino Acids or BCAAs are essential for muscle recovery and growth. Look for the BCAA profile of your whey protein powder. The ideal ratio of leucine to isoleucine to valine is 2:1:1. Check if your protein has got this listed on the label.
- Check out for the carb content: Look for a protein powder that offers at least 3% of your daily value of carbohydrates with each serving. Carbs help in enhancing insulin that results in increased absorption of amino acids.
- Look out for any added sugars: Artificial sweeteners can cause harm to gut bacteria and sugar alcohols can cause gas and bloat. Choose a whey supplement with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners.
- Look for a protein test certificate: Many brands are nowadays providing a third-party lab certificate for their protein powders. You can consider these protein lab test certificates as they assure that the product is of good quality.
Top 5 whey protein powders in India
Now it’s time to have a look at some of the best whey protein powders available in the Indian market as of 2020.
- MuscleBlaze Biozyme Whey Protein
There is not just a single reason to call this product the best whey protein powder in India. This product is India’s first-ever clinically tested protein that is customized for Indians. It is enriched with a special formula called Enhanced Absorption Formula that helps in better digestion and absorption of protein with lower stomach discomfort. As Indians eat a carb-rich diet, their protein absorption rate is low. This product allows 50% more protein absorption and 60% higher BCAA absorption and helps in building perfectly ripped muscles. It offers 25g protein and 5.5g BCAAs per serving. It is also lab certified for purity and accuracy. This ensures that the product is of top-notch quality and absolutely safe to consume.
- BSN Syntha 6
This great-tasting protein powder is highly effective. It has 6 individually complete proteins that have distinct amino acid profiles. It is packed with BCAAs, MCTs (medium-chain triglycerides), and glutamine peptides. MCTs are good for your heart’s health whereas BCAAs help in boosting muscle recovery rate. The product also contains EFAs and other crucial fatty acids. It is also rich in fiber and offers 5g fiber per serving to boost digestion. It offers 22g protein per scoop. It contains eggs and thus might not be suitable for vegans or vegetarians. It is aspartame-free.
- Asitis Nutrition WPC 80%
This is a soy-free protein powder offered by the brand As-it-is Nutrition. The primary source of protein is whey protein concentrate (WPC). This product is free from any additives, preservatives, or artificial flavors. It helps you in building lean muscles. With each serving of this protein powder, you get 24g protein and 5.4g BCAAs. It powers muscle gain and protein synthesis in muscles. It offers 2.5g carbs and just 1.5g fats per serving.
- MuscleTech Nitrotech Performance Series
This one is available in 13 delectable flavors. This powerful formula is helpful in boosting muscle growth, strength, and performance. The primary source of protein is whey protein isolate and peptides. Each serving offers 30g protein and 6.8g BCAAs along with 5g glutamine. It is also packed with 3g creatine per serving to boost performance, muscle strength, and lean muscle growth. It serves as an ideal post-workout drink.
- Ultimate Nutrition Prostar 100% whey protein
If you are looking forward to building muscles and losing excess fat, this product is the ideal choice. It offers 25g protein per serving of 30g to boost muscle growth. It is packed with all essential and non-essential amino acids. It is a low-fat whey protein that offers just 1g fat per serving. It delivers 6g BCAAs to support muscle recovery and repair. It also functions as an antioxidant and helps in enhancing immunity levels. Since it is available in 13 scrumptious flavors, you’ll be spoilt for choice with this one.
Choose from any of the above-mentioned whey supplements and gear up for your fitness journey. Make sure to work out regularly and do not replace any of your meals with these. Whey protein powders have made it quite convenient for fitness buffs to make a perfect physique without investing much of their time in preparing multiple meals. Invest in a good protein powder like the ones mentioned in the article and see the difference.