The latest addition to your domestic kitchen; the cream charger.
Food grade nitrous oxide has been used in professional kitchens all over the world for years to create show-stopping and flavor rich dishes. Yet somehow it has seemingly escaped the cupboards of the domestic kitchen, until now. Over the last two years and as a result of the pandemic and stay-at-home orders, there has been a rise in home cooking, home baking, and even home mixology so it stands to reason that the much loved professional cream charger is starting to filter its way into residential homes. After all domestic fridges and freezers are no longer piled high with ready meals and convenience food. Instead, you are more likely to find items once reserved for the professionals, high-grade blenders, mixers, cocktail shakers, strainers, and slicers have all migrated to the residential shelves. Now it is time for the cream charger to proudly take its place in the domestic kitchen cupboard.
What is a cream charger and why do you need it in your home?
Nitrous Oxide, or N20 as it is also known, has many purposes and has come a long way since its discovery. It is a gas that has gone from being used as an anesthetic to helping to add the whipped cream you enjoyed with your most recent restaurant pudding.
It is now widely used in the food industry, motor industry, and health industry. In the food industry, it is termed food-grade nitrous oxide. Food grade nitrous oxide enjoys a popular demand in the food and beverages industry and can make the lives of chefs and bartends much easier. It is commonly used as a propellant to make whipped cream, foams, sauces, and marinades and can add the piece de resistance to any kitchen. So, if you have a flair for fine and fancy cuisine, a dinner party you want to impress at, or just enjoy creating new and impressive culinary delights then a cream charger can be just the addition to your kitchen.
How does a cream charger work?
Using a cream charger for home cooking is really quite simple. You pour your liquid recipe into the dispenser, set the correct pressure, shake and press the charger to release your liquid through the nozzle, which is no longer liquid. This works by the nitrous oxide gas merging with oxygen and a chemical reaction taking place to transform the interior liquid recipe into a foamy or more volumized substance with enhanced flavor.
Simple recipes you can re-create at home
As already established you do not need to be a professional chef or bartender to benefit from a cream charger and you can use it to wow dinner guests from the comfort of your own home. Here are some simple recipes you can re-create in your kitchen to make your night one to stand out.
Whipped chocolate mouse
A chocolate mouse made with a cream charger will make it an irresistibly creamy restaurant standard dessert that will leave your guests asking for another helping. What is more, this recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients, and using a cream charger will make the entire process quicker and easier, helping to take the pressure off entertaining. To make this delicacy you will need the following;
- 200g finely chopped dark chocolate
- 100g brewed coffee at room temperature
- 100ml water
- 40g sugar
- Melt and mix together chocolate, water, and sugar. You can do this by placing the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and placing it on top of a pan of boiling water.
- Once melted remove the bowl from the heat and place it in an ice bath.
- Whisk the mixture until it reaches a consistency of heavy cream.
- Pour the mixture into your cream charger, follow the instructions of your charger to set the correct pressure.
- Shake your charger as per the instructions.
- Release the mixture into their serving glasses or bowls
- Decorate the mouse with flaked chocolate as desired.
Using a cream charger makes the entire process quicker and easier, not to mention flavor enhancing.
Bar worthy Pina Colada
If you’re entertaining guests with drinks and you want to make your occasion leave a memorable impression then serving bar-worthy drinks that your guests would pay a high price for at a local cocktail bar is the way to impress. This has never been easier than with your cream charger.
To make your pina colada you will need
- 60ml White rum
- 120ml pineapple juice
- Handful of ice
- 250ml whipping cream
- 1tsp of coconut extract or coconut flavored drops/sweetener
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 1tbsp coconut flavored liquor – optional
- Pineapple wedge and umbrella to serve – optional
Making your pina colada
- Simple combine and mix the rum, pineapple juice, and ice together in a blender and pour into a long glass.
- Combine whipping cream, coconut extract, icing sugar, and liquor together and place into your cream charger.
- Charge and shake your charger as per the user’s instructions.
- Press the nozzle to release your intense coconut flavored whipped cream and add it to the top of your pina colada drink.
- Decorate with pineapple wedge and umbrella.
Hollandaise sauce has been known to be a very difficult sauce to master but fear not, with the use of a cream charger it has become a whole lot easier. You can now produce a homemade light Hollandaise sauce with ease by following this simple recipe, perfect for Sunday morning eggs. The ingredients you will need are
- 200g butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp white wine
- 1 egg
How to make;
- Melt the butter in a pan over low heat then mix in the vinegar, white wine, and lemon juice.
- Mix in the egg and egg yolks
- Stir the mixture continuously until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into your cream dispenser and charge and shake as per your dispenser’s instruction.
- Dispense your sauce on the dish of your choice.