Medjool dates are a variety of dates, and are mostly known for their natural sweetness. They’re larger and darker, and have a more caramel-like taste compared with other forms of dates.
Native to Morocco, the medjool dates plant is currently found in many parts of the world. It has, in fact, been used for various purposes for quite some time now. Its seeds are used to feed animals, and, sometimes, incorporated into coffee. Its oil is used for beauty products. The fruits are not just eaten and enjoyed by many, but they are also used for their many health benefits.
Here are some of the health benefits of adding medjool dates to your daily diet:
- Aids In Constipation
Organic medjool dates are of great help for those who are experiencing irregular bowel movement or are always constipated. The pulp extract of dates is successful in stimulating the gastrointestinal tract activity, which reduces the chances of constipation. This benefit is achieved by how the fruit itself corrects the mineral content deregulation in the stomach when constipation happens.
Dates are also an excellent source of fiber. By now, you already probably know that patients who are constantly constipated lack fiber. To prevent this condition, it’s essential for the body to consume 20 up to 35 grams of fiber each day.
How can you tell that you’re constipated? Common symptoms include:
- Needing someone else’s help just to empty your rectum, such as having someone push your shoulders
- Feeling the need to let out stool only less than three times a week
- Feeling as if you can’t empty the stool out of your rectum
- Experiencing hard and lumpy stools
- Rich In Healthy Nutrients
Medjool dates are one of the healthiest fruits that you can add to your diet. In as little as two dates, amounting to around 50 grams, you can already obtain the following nutrients:
- Magnesium: vital in maintaining healthy nerve and muscle function
- Carbohydrates: provides the energy needed by the body
- Vitamin B6: needed for the proper functioning of the brain and the nervous system
- Fiber: essential for digestive health and promotes regular bowel movement
- Potassium: helps in lowering blood pressure and reducing water retention
- Improves Heart Health
Medjool dates are also instrumental in improving one’s overall heart health. Dates are rich in antioxidants that help prevent heart conditions, such as atherosclerosis, wherein the arteries get clogged with plaque. The antioxidants present in dates also help to stimulate the removal of cholesterol from the arteries.
Apart from antioxidants, dates are also rich in isoflavones. These are essential in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Why is it essential to improve heart health? Here are pertinent reasons:
- To maintain a healthy level of cholesterol and blood pressure
- To lower the chances of early deaths through heart attacks
- To lower the risk of developing dementia
- To reduce feelings of depression
- Excellent Source Of Natural Sugars
Dates are a great source of natural sugars. Yes, too much sugar is bad for your health, however you still need healthy quantities of it for your brain health to remain intact. The brain requires about 400 calories of healthy and natural sugars in a day for it to function well. Sugar is also needed for the body to have sufficient amounts of oxygen and energy to transport to its different parts.
- Regulates Cholesterol
The medjool dates’ ability to regulate the body’s cholesterol levels is one of the most important benefits of this fruit. Dates contain no cholesterol. Plus, they also have more iron and fiber than bananas.
Note that it’s imperative for people to always have their cholesterol levels in check. When cholesterol levels are too high, it puts you at risk of diseases, such as angina or chest pain caused by heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, and even cancer.
Medjool dates can help with these following conditions:
- Impotence in men
- Soft, yellowish lesions or growth in the skin
- Chest pain and pressure
- Supports Healthy Digestive Health
Fiber is essential for the body to maintain a good digestive health. For one, it can help people to pass stool regularly. Medjool dates can help you achieve this, because of it being a rich source of fiber. Digging even deeper, when your body has abundant amounts of fiber, this can help prevent diseases, such as colorectal cancer.
That said, along with adding organic medjool dates to your diet, here are other ways that you can improve your digestive health:
- Limit your intake of fatty food
- Incorporate probiotics to your diet
- Choose lean meat over fatty meat
- Eat on time
- Exercise regularly
- Don’t skip meals
- Stay hydrated
- Improves Bone Health
As you age, one of the parts of your body that tends to degenerate fast are your bones. Thus, you must give yourself healthy meals that help improve your bone health. That way, you can prevent diseases, such as osteoporosis.
Medjool dates are rich in calcium, copper, magnesium, and manganese, all of which are important in keeping your bones healthy.
Ways To Incorporate Medjool Dates To Your Diet
Now that you’re aware of the many health benefits of medjool dates, it’s also worth discussing how you can consume them. With the many ways you can add these fruits to your diet, you don’t have to be stuck with just one, over and over again.
- Stuff them in your pastry. If you love to bake, then this is one good way for you to incorporate medjool dates to your food. Generally, the best ingredients that go with dates are nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Puree them. When you puree dates, you’re basically turning them altogether into a paste, which can become a healthier alternative to white sugar. You may then add the puree to your oatmeal or to your evening glass of milk.
- Drink them. Because dates are naturally sweet, these can also make for a refreshing drink. When mixed with whole milk, you can also come up with a creamy milkshake.
People generally have a love-hate relationship with dates. Compared with their more common counterparts, such as prunes and raisins, they’re not preferred by many. Loving dates takes a lot of getting used to. Generally, dates are safe to consume, but this doesn’t mean that they’re without any side effects when taken in large quantities. Also, it’s a must to store them properly for them to avoid drying out fast.