In Ayurveda, UTI (Urinary tract infection) is termed as Pittaja Mutrakrichhra and is mainly caused by the aggravation of Pitta Dosha. In a balanced state, Pitta dosha is an Ayurvedic humor that symbolizes heat or fire. But if the Pitta dosha gets disturbed due to increased intake of sour, salty, bitter, oily, spicy food, and beverages like excessive tea, coffee, it can lead to several diseases. Excessive Pitta produces heating toxins in the body and thus accumulated in the mutravahi srotas and creates an imbalance in the infection-fighting properties of the urinary system. Due to this, the person gets easily infected by any organism.
The urinary tract is a sterile environment, pathogen agents that can migrate to the urethra from the rectum or vagina. When viruses, microbes, fungi, and other parasites get into the urinary tract and they get multiply, it can lead to Urinary Tract Infections. The most common cause of UTI is Escherichia coli bacteria. Thus the infection can lead to several symptoms like the inflamed and irritated lining of the urethra, lower abdominal pain, dysuria, urinary urgency, bloody urine, nausea, vomiting, etc.
Nowadays, mostly every second person is suffering from this condition due to their bad lifestyle, improper hygiene, and food habits. By using several modern medicines they worsen their condition because the medicines can heal it for short time only but do not cure its root cause and due to long term courses of high doses of medicines they will offer other diseases like blood disorders, hallucinations, convulsion, loss of appetite, allergic reactions, etc.
In Ayurveda, many precious herbs are available that will cure the UTI naturally. Here we describe many home remedies that will surely treat UTI and also prevent them from reoccurring.
- Cranberry Juice – Cranberry juice is coolant in nature and considered as the best Pitta pacifying juice. By drinking 50-100 ml of juice daily is highly beneficial in treating this situation by lowering down the burning sensation, pain in the pelvic region, discomfort during urination, etc.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and have on an empty stomach daily to ward off bladder infections. The remedy has antibacterial and alkalizes the inner environment of the body.
- Garlic Powder – Garlic contains a compound known as Allicin that stops the growth of harmful bacteria. To cure the infection of urinary tract you should take raw, crushed garlic, or have garlic-infused water to stave off urinary infections.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon has the best healing properties in case of urinary tract infections. Cinnamaldehyde present in the spice is a very effective antibacterial property. You could use this bark either by ingesting the powder (not more than 4g a day) or you could consider using cinnamon oil (preferably 1g but not more than 2g) or even capsules to relieve yourself from the debilitating symptoms of this infection.
- Coconut Water – Coconut water is an effective drink that contains a lot of fluids so that you will be able to flush the bacteria when you pass urine. In urinary infection, there is an imbalance in the electrolytes in your body, specifically sodium. Drinking coconut water is very beneficial. You can savor the water from 2 or even 3 tender coconuts in a day until you find relief from the symptoms.
- Tea tree oil – Tea tree oil is an effective natural remedy for both prevention and control of the intensity of a UTI. It has antibacterial properties and can curb the growth of not just E. coli but a few other infections caused by the Streptococcus species as well. To make a remedy you could mix around 5-10 drops of this oil to either clean water or better still carrier oil like coconut oil. Apply it over the affected area every day till you get proper relief from UTI.
- Coconut Oil – There are two ways you can use coconut oil to cure UTI. One is to directly use organic coconut oil. You could apply good amounts of this oil topically. The healthy fats accumulated in this oil show antimicrobial properties which help your body to fight against infection without having to tolerate the harsh side effects of antibiotics.
- Radish – The fresh green leaves of radish are packed with antibacterial properties. Taking around 150ml juice made from radish leaves for a fortnight can help to reduce inflammation of the urinary bladder and burning sensation.
- Banyan tree bark – According to Ayurveda, the bark of the banyan tree can help in the treatment of urinary tract infection like trichomonas, vaginitis, and pelvic inflammatory infections. Usually, it is administrated in the form of capsules or even loose extracts. It is very beneficial to flush out toxins from the body and hence help in relieving painful symptoms of UTI
- Pomegranate – The fruit is loaded with Vitamin C and antioxidants that help in the management and prevention of urinary tract infections. Pomegranate is very beneficial for building immunity, fight against bacterial infections and helps in quick recovery from a UTI.
These home remedies provide good effects in urinary tract infections. So use them as they are easily available at home.