Groundnut (Peanut/Moongfali) Chikki is a healthy, delicious, and traditional sweet from Gujarat & Maharashtra in Western India. Today this has become popular across India. Generally prepared during Uttarayan (Kite Flying), Chikki can be prepared with jaggery or brown sugar.
Also Puffed rice (Mamra) laddu is as popular as Chikki and is relished by both young and old generations. Mamra or puffed rice is a type of puffed grain made from rice and is a very popular item.
Let’s begin making Groundnut (Peanut) Chikki and Tasty Puffed rice (Mamra) Laddu one by one:-
Here We Go
Groundnut (Peanut/Moongfali) Chikki
- 500 gms Groundnuts or Peanuts or Moongfali
- 300 gms jaggery (gur), cut into small pieces/ 300 gms soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsps ghee/ clarified butter
- Take a pan and roast peanuts for five to six minutes on medium flame. Keep on stirring the peanuts constantly to avoid burning.
- Let the roasted peanuts cool down and then remove its skin and break them into halves.
- Grease a flat plate and a rolling pin (belan) with 1 teaspoon ghee.
- Now in a pan, heat ghee over slow flame. To this add jaggery and start stirring continuously.
- Cook for five to eight minutes on a low flame until the jaggery dissolves and thick syrup is formed. To test that the syrup is ready put a drop in cold water. If jaggery drop turns into a solid drop and sits at the bottom of bowl, then it is cooked otherwise cook it for some more time and repeat the check.
- Switch off the flame and add peanut halves, mix well until they are covered with dissolved jaggery.
- Spread this mixture immediately on the greased plate. Roll it out to even the surface using rolling pin. Keep it’s thickness around 1/3-inch.
- Let it cool and cut it into your preferred size with a knife.The amazingly delicious Peanuts Chikki is ready now. You can store them in an airtight container and relish whenever you like.
Apart from groundnuts, you can also try variations in chikki with sesame seeds (til), different nuts (dry fruits like cashew, almonds etc.), coconut etc. Get started with the above recipe and enjoy mouthwatering chikki.
Puffed Rice (Mamra) Laddu
After having delicious groundnut chikki now let’s learn how to cook Mamra Laddu. It’s a very easy-to-cook recipe and a delicacy that can be munched anytime.
- Puffed Rice (Mamra) – Three cups
- Jaggery (Gud) – ¾ cup
- Oil or Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Water or ghee to roll/make puffed RiceLaddu’s
- Take a pan and on medium flame heat ghee or oil
- Shred or cut the jaggery (gud). Add this shredded jaggery and keep on stirring on medium flame until it melts.
- Jaggery begins to bubble and slowly changes its color to dark brown, keep on stirring and make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Now let’s begin to add puffed rice (mamra) slowly and keep on stirring continuously until all the puffed rice mixes well with jaggery. Keep the flame low.
- After this turn off the flame, take a few drops of ghee or water in your palms, and start rolling laddu’s when the mixture is still hot. One can choose how big they want the laddus to be and depending on it take the mixture. Make sure to finish making all the laddu before the jaggery and puffed rice mixture cools down. If in case the mixture cools down and you are yet to roll the laddu, heat the mixture again on low flame and continue making laddu again.
- Store this laddu’s in an air-tight container as they cool down. Yummy and delicious laddus are ready to be relished and they remain fresh for a week.