Puffed rice was discovered in the year 1901, when Alexander Pierce discovered when corn starch heated to a very high temperature it became a puffed mass. Now let’s understand how to make puffed rice.
Ingredients of puffed rice:
- Oil – 2 cups
- 1 bowl rice
- Sugar – for sprinkling
Recipe of Puffed rice:
- Cook around 1 bowl of rice.
- Dry the rice by keeping them in a tray and use it after sometime when it is dried.
- Next add oil in a pan and its temperature should be hot.
- Afterwards add the dried rice into boiling oil by putting a sieve in the oil and shake for about 30 seconds. You will see the rice will start getting puffed soon.
- Pull up the sieve and drain the remaining oil and afterwards keep the rice in a separate plate.
- Similarly repeat it by adding more rice to the oil within a sieve.
- After you have put the rice on a separate plate, sprinkle some sugar on top it. Sprinkling the sugar still when the rice is warm is better.
- All the rice has to be then added to the sieve again and cooked again for about 30 seconds. Puffed rice are ready and you can come to know this by checking its crispiness.
Fact Files on Puffed Rice:
- In India, Puffer rice is also known as Mamra or Murmura.
- Puffed rice are commonly used in the preparation of cereals, snacks as well as rice cakes & Indian Mamra Laddu.
- Sugar, spices or some other flavoring substances are added to make puffed rice which enhances its taste.
Calorie Check on Puffed rice:
- There are 56 calories present in 1 cup of puffed rice.
- Puffed rice is high in carbohydrate, whereas it is low in fat.