Back pain, neck pain, lack of sleep, and weight gain are a few of the main complaints during pregnancy. Back pain happens to be one of the most common and it has been revealed that most pregnant women experience back pain than any of the problems mentioned above. In this article, we will discuss some of the best pregnancy treatments that would help relieve pregnant women the back pain. These treatments are safe and have been recommended by medical practitioners.
Before we discuss the treatments of back pain, let us look at a few of the main causes of this issue during pregnancy.
- One of the main cause of back pain during pregnancy is posture change. Unknown to most people, pregnancy is responsible for the shifting in gravity. When this happens, most people begin to change their posture, thus resulting in back pain.
- Another common issue is the separation of muscle. This happens when the uterus expands, resulting in the separation of the abdominal muscle along the center seam.
- Another thing that could cause back pain is stress. Basically, emotional stress during pregnancy could cause a sudden pain in the back. Lack of sleep or a bad sleeping position could also cause back pain.
- Weight gain is another cause of back pain during pregnancy. It is reported that women gain about 25 to 30 pounds during pregnancy, this is an added work to the spine as it would have to offer support. Also, the weight of the baby could also add pressure thus resulting in most times severe back pain.
While we have listed some of the main causes of back pain during the journey to childbirth, we will take a look at some of the main treatments for this pain.
This is a treatment that is common in East Asia. It has been proven to be a safe treatment for back pain during pregnancy. This technique basically involves the insertion of needles into specific parts or areas of the body that are capable of corresponding with various emotional and physical health. One of the main benefits of acupuncture is that it is capable of removing any form of blockage that stands in the way or interferes with the perfect flow of the body’s energy. This is referred to as “qi” (often times referred to as “chee”).
It has been discovered that the stimulation of acupuncture points either with inserted needles or an alternative technique which is called “acupressure” has proven beneficial when it comes to the treatment of not just back pain during pregnancy but also the treatment of migraine headaches, morning sickness etc. The main difference between these two is that while acupuncture uses needles, acupressure involves the use of fingers to hold the various pressure points. The acupuncture technique is a secure treatment as it has been used by various pregnant women and all have attested to its back pain treating power.
This is another effective, secure, tested and proven treatment to back pains. Chiropractic care involves the manipulation of the joints, prescribed exercises, soft tissue work as well as other techniques to prevent pregnant women or soon to be mothers from feeling any tightness in muscles, compression, nerve as well as any form of joint alignment.
This care helps to manipulate the spine thus ensuring that it is able to offer the needed support when there is a general weight gain. This technique has been advised by various doctors across the country. Pregnant women that have gone through this care have praised its ability to treat back pain. As an expectant or soon to be a mother, you do not need to suffer this back pain anymore.
- A good night rest
During pregnancy, there are certain factors or circumstances that would definitely stress these soon to be mothers. Lack of a good night sleep has been identified as one of the main causes of stress. Generally, pregnant women find it extremely difficult to have a good night rest and this is mainly because of finding an ideal sleeping position that is at the same time comfortable. What can they do?
Soon to be mothers would have to opt for the pregnancy body pillow. This happens to be the best pregnancy pillow that is sure to reduce their stress level. These pillows would help them have a comfortable night sleep thus reducing their stress level as well as back pain.
- Regular exercises
Often times, muscles tighten thus stiffening the spine. This can cause severe or mild back pain depending on the level of tightness. Regular exercise during the pregnancy is needed to help boost flexibility as well as loosen the muscles. Exercise has proven to ease the stress on the spine. These exercises range from different activities. It could include;
- Swimming; it is actually one of the most recommended exercises that soon to be mothers could do. Swimming helps take off a considerable amount of pressure off the spine.
- Regular walks have also proven to be helpful in loosening the spine.
- Stationary cycling is another exercise that could help in taking pressure off the spine.
- Applying heat and cold
This is another secure treatment for back pain. Pregnant women could apply a bag of ice on the part of the back that hurts, this could be done a few times daily. Pregnant women could start by placing a bag of ice for about twenty (20) minutes for about two or three times each day. After doing this for about two to three days, pregnant women could apply heat in form of a hot water bottle or heating pad on the back. While doing this, it is advised that they do not apply this heat to their abdomen.
With these techniques and practices, soon to be mothers can finally say goodbye to any form of back pain. Pregnant women should also endeavor to avoid increasing their stress level as well as getting the needed night rest.