Sports and sporting events are integral for our health and happiness. While we’re competing or pushing our bodies to the limits, accidents do sometimes happen. When they do, it’s important that the right treatment is available, that a first aid kit and trained first aid provider are nearby to tend to any injuries.
In the case of sports, a basic first aid kit is not sufficient. Therefore, you would need a specialized sports first aid kit. Since you are tending to an emergency, you should properly organize the sports first aid kit and ensure it’s ready to grab and go as soon as injuries occur. Choosing the contents of a sports first aid kit might be difficult. Read through the article to know what a sports first aid kit should contain in detail.
Things to consider while making a sports first aid kit
- The sports first aid kit bag should have a bright and noticeable color like orange, red, etc. This helps in immediately spotting the first-aid bag when in medical emergencies and not wasting time looking for the bag.
- The sports first aid kit bag should be compact so that you can carry it in your sporting kit bag.
- None of the products included in the sports first aid kit should need any professional first aid training. They should be in such a way that anyone can easily use them without prior knowledge.
- Keep the sports first aid kit well organized so that you know precisely where everything is when circumstances warrant it.
- Make sure that you buy only high-quality authorized products. Low quality/cheap items can be harmful and cause further injury.
- Check all items frequently to verify that they are in good functioning condition and are up to date.
- Keep a reasonable stock of first aid products. Overstocking causes products to expire and thereby going to waste. Understocking leaves you unprepared on crucial sports match days where there is a chance for a large number of injuries.
- Replace a used product with a new one so that the first aid kit does not miss out on products.
- You should prepare the first aid kit such that you can treat more than one injured person at a time.
What Should A Sports First Aid Kit Contain?
A basic sports first aid kit should always have the necessary supplies to address the most frequent injuries. Having the proper first aid products is essential with various types of sporting injuries that can occur. Some of the most critical items that a sports first aid kit for a small sports team should contain are:
- Nitrile gloves
- Gauze swabs
- Hand and surface sanitizer
- Safety pins
- Microporous tape
- Eye pads
- Nasal plugs
- Plastic plaster – For blisters
- Bandage – Triangular bandage
- Wound dressing – Double-sided low adherent dressing, medium sterile sports dressing
- Instant ice pack
- First-aid instructions manual
- Aerosol pain relief spray
- Burn gel dressing
- Burn gel sachet
- Cleansing/sterile wipes – For cleaning the wound
- Eyewash liquid
- Rigid sports tapes – For minor sprains
- Aluminum splint
- Face shield for resuscitation
- Emergency blanket – For keeping the injured person warm
- Antiseptic cream – For preventing further infection
- Notebook and pen
- Skin closure strips
The products listed above will be handy in treating a wide range of typical sporting injuries that arise as a result of the strains of sporting and physical activity. These are just the appropriate quantity of first aid for small injuries to wrap them up until additional medical help arrives.
Now that you have learned what all a sports first aid kit should contain, you can make an informed decision. You can also tailor these sports first aid kits according to the sports you play.