Khakhra is known to be a popular breakfast dish for the Gujratis. It is a crispy snack loved by most Gujaratis and is gaining popularity all over. This article will describe how you can easily make khakhra from the leftover chapatis.
Check out the ingredients required for making Fenugreek Khakhra:
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Fenugreek leaves – ¼ cup
- Oil – 2-3 table spoons
- Turmeric powder – ½ table spoon
- Green Chilli Paste
Recipe of Fenugreek (methi) Khakhra or Plain Khakhra:
- Mix all the above mentioned ingredients in a bowl, except wheat flour.
- After mixing all, add around 1 cup of wheat flour to the mixture.
- Next, you need to add some water to the mixture so that the right consistency is obtained and the dough is formed. Make sure the dough is loose.
- Afterwards you need to wrap the dough with a towel and let it rest for anywhere between 15 – 20 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, put a ¼ table spoon of oil on the dough to make it smooth.
- You can prepare the Khakhra either in a roti maker or on the normal home tawa.
- Now start dividing the dough into 7- 8 small ball sizes, preferably the golf balls.
- Take the 1st ball and dust it with some dry flour, keeping that in a separate container. The khakhra that has to be prepared should be rolled out very thin. All the Khakhras are to be prepared in a similar manner.
- Before you put the khakhra on the tawa, just make sure that the tawa is warm. After putting the khakhra on tawa; few spots will start to appear, as soon as they appear, it is time to change the side of the khakhra. Change the sides 2 – 3 times; this will make the khakhra crispy.
- After all the khakhras are baked, put them on the kitchen towel. Apply oil slightly on the khakhra and let them cool for some time.
- After the khakhras have cooled, put them again on a tawa and start pressing it with a potato masher or a lid with handle against the bubbles present in the khakhras.
- You need to keep on doing this till the khakhra is baked. Be patient at this stage.
- Similarly khakhra can also be prepared from leftover chapatis as you just need to bake them on tawa or roti maker. Make sure to apply a little bit of salt before serving.
- Garnish it with some jeera powder on top or pickle or masala or relish is plain. Enjoy the khakhras with your evening snack.
- These khakhras can also be stored in air tight container for about 10 days with ease.
Known to be a popular Gujarati dish, Khakhras are gaining popularity owing to their health benefits. Hope you ‘ll like the recipe and this Gujarati dish 🙂 Keep reading FnH.